Two of the family are said to have intervened: Prince Andrew, contrary to his own wishes, will not attend a public appointment.
Britain’s Prince Andrew will stay away from a planned public appearance with the family following royal advice. It had previously been reported that the 62-year-old was scheduled to attend an event honoring the Order of the Garter – one of Britain’s oldest chivalric orders – on Monday.
A few hours before the start of the event, a spokeswoman said at the request of the German Press Agency: “The Duke of York will attend the ceremony and lunch, but not the procession or the service.” This is a personal decision after consultation with the family.
The Telegraph had reported that Prince Charles and Prince William had intervened and advocated excluding Andrew from the appointment.
The Queen’s second-eldest son has resigned from public duties as a royal after becoming involved in an abuse scandal. However, there is always speculation as to whether and what a partial return could look like. The decision of Queen Elizabeth II (96) in the spring caused a surprise when she was accompanied by Andrew to the memorial service for Prince Philip.