Lviv again target of air raids Apparently 19 civilians killed in Donetsk and Luhansk regions The developments in the Ukraine war in the stern ticker.
Day 83 of the Russian invasion of Ukraine: After 260 Ukrainian soldiers were evacuated from the Azovstal Steelworks in the besieged city of Mariupol overnight, hundreds more remain at the site.
The area around the city of Lviv has again become the target of Russian airstrikes, and 19 civilians are said to have been killed in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.
Tuesday, May 17th news of the war in Ukraine:
6.20 a.m .: ESC winner Kalush Orchestra back in Ukraine
After their stunning victory at the Eurovision Song Contest (ESC) in Turin, the group Kalush Orchestra has returned to Ukraine. The six men briefly sang their hit “Stefania” at the border control, as public television showed on Monday in a short video on the Telegram news service. Later there was another performance and an autograph session with young fans at a gas station behind the Ukrainian-Polish border near Krakowez. Last Saturday, the band clearly won the European music competition thanks to the audience vote.
2.01 a.m .: Unicef: Ukraine war exacerbates child malnutrition
According to UNICEF, the Ukraine war is exacerbating the problem of severe malnutrition among children. “Even before the war in Ukraine, many families were struggling to feed their children due to conflict, climate shock and the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic,” said Catherine Russell, UNICEF Executive Director. Now there are additional problems. The Ukraine, which is considered Europe’s granary, can export much less grain due to the war, among other things.
The UNICEF report warns that both the number of children affected by malnutrition and the cost of the supplemental food they need will increase.
1.26 a.m .: Ukraine: Another rocket attack near Lviv
According to Ukrainian information, the area around the city of Lviv in western Ukraine was again the target of an air raid yesterday. The attack was aimed at a military facility in the Yavoriv district on the border with Poland, local military chief Maxim Kositsky writes in his news channel on the Telegram chat service. Mayor Andriy Sadoviy emphasizes that there is no confirmed information about rocket hits in the city and thanked the air defense.
0.47 a.m .: After the first evacuation of the steelworks in Mariupol: Hundreds of soldiers on the site
After weeks of blockade, around 260 Ukrainian soldiers have left the Azov steelworks in Mariupol. Among them were 53 seriously injured, as the Ukrainian General Staff announced during the night.
211 other Ukrainian soldiers were also taken to a town occupied by Russian troops. They are said to be released later in a prisoner exchange. The evacuation of other fighters from the plant is still in progress. Several hundred soldiers are said to be on the site. Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Maljar emphasizes that it was not possible to free Azovstal. A planned exchange of prisoners has not yet been officially confirmed by the Russian side. The Russian Defense Ministry had previously only spoken of a ceasefire for the evacuation.