A large 20-unit building in Bedford, England, caught fire after an explosion this morning. Two people were injured.

After a gas explosion in an apartment building in Bedford, England, the building caught fire. Two people were taken to the hospital, one with serious injuries, police said.

The entire three-storey building with 20 residential units was on fire after the explosion in the morning and large parts of the roof collapsed, it was said. The reason for the gas leak was initially unclear.

Residents were asked to avoid the area and keep doors and windows closed. A neighboring building was also evacuated. “I saw a few people jump out of the building and I helped them out and got them away from the fire and danger, but it was a very, very serious and very big explosion,” said the occupant of a loft apartment who made it to safety in time could bring the BBC.