According to Ukrainian information, 24 people were buried in a collapsed block of flats in the town of Chasiv Yar in the Donetsk region during Russian rocket attacks. So far, 15 people have been pulled dead from the rubble of the multi-storey house.
At least 15 people were killed in a Russian rocket attack on a residential building in Chasiv Yar in eastern Ukraine, according to Ukrainian sources on Sunday. The local rescue service announced on the online network Facebook that 24 people were still buried under the rubble of the multi-storey building. The rescue workers have so far been able to contact three of them. According to the information, five people were rescued alive.
The governor of the Donetsk region, Pavlo Kyrylenko, initially said that at least six people had been killed and five others injured in the Russian attack. Two entrances to the block of flats were completely destroyed. The governor released numerous photos. The apartment building had been fired at with Russian Uragan missiles the night before, Kyrylenko said in his blog on the Telegram news channel.
Ukraine: Excavators support search in Donetsk
The information could not be independently verified. However, the Russian Defense Ministry itself reported on the shelling of Chasiv Yar on Saturday. Russia repeatedly claims that it does not shoot at civilian objects.
The emergency services at the partially collapsed building were supported by an excavator. “I was in the bedroom, I came out and everything started shaking, collapsing,” a resident of the house, who declined to give her name, told AFP.
On Saturday, Governor Kyrylenko announced that in eastern Ukraine “the entire front line was under relentless fire” from the Russian army. Above all, the city of Sloviansk was bombed. Sloviansk and Kramatorsk are the two largest cities in the Donetsk region still under Ukrainian control. Chasiv Yar is located about 50 kilometers south-east of Sloviansk.
The Russian army is currently pursuing the goal of conquering the predominantly Russian-speaking region of Donzek. According to Kyrylenko, 591 civilians have been killed and 1,548 others injured in Donetsk since the beginning of the Russian war of aggression against Ukraine on February 24.